Chai Ridgers is a partner in our Litigation, Restructuring and Insolvency group in Hong Kong and leads the Restructuring practice in Asia.
Chai specialises in cross-border restructurings, insolvency and workouts of distressed companies. He advises leading international and regional accountancy practices, onshore law firms, financial institutions, insolvency office holders, official and unofficial creditors’ committees, private equity sponsors, hedge funds, debtor-in-possession loan providers, directors, trustees, shareholders and corporate debtors. He has worked extensively on assignments throughout Asia, including in the PRC, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan.
Recently, Chai has played an instrumental role advising on a number of global restructurings concerning offshore entities, including:
- Advising the Coordinating Committee of Lenders and Deutsche Bank in relation to Noble Group's US$3.5 billion debt restructuring.
- Advising Global A&T Electronics Ltd (GATE) (owned by Affinity Equity Partners and TPG Capital) on the restructuring of US$1.12billion senior secured notes issued by GATE.
- Advising Kaisa Group Holdings Ltd in relation to the restructuring of its US$2.5 billion debt.
- Advising certain Lenders and the subsequent liquidators in relation to the liquidation of subsidiaries of the Pacific Andes Group.
- Advising certain Lenders in relation to the restructuring of US$750 million debts and liabilities of Mongolian Mining Corporation, an entity incorporated in Cayman and listed on the HKSE, and its subsidiaries.
- Advising certain shareholders in relation to China Shanshui Cement Group Limited, a company listed on the HKSE.
- Acting for Titan Resources Management Limited, a group company of Titan Petrochemicals Group Limited, in relation to the implementation of a scheme of arrangement in the BVI.
- Advising the Lenders and subsequent Provisional Liquidators in relation to the restructuring of the debts and liabilities of Z-Obee Holdings Limited, a HKSE-listed company.
- Advising the Taiwanese Bank Syndicate and subsequent Provisional Liquidators in relation to the restructuring of US$1 billion debts and liabilities of China Lumena New Materials Corp.
- Advising Aluminium Corporation of China on its proposed privatisation of Chinalco Mining Corporation International, a Cayman Islands incorporated and HKSE-listed company, by way of a scheme of arrangement.
- Advising Birmingham International Holdings Limited, the parent company of football club Birmingham City PLC, in relation to its proposed restructuring.
- Acting for the Adhoc Group of senior bondholders in relation to the offshore US$400 million debt restructuring of LDK Solar Co., Ltd, a global solar module manufacturer, including advising and implementing two Cayman Islands law governed schemes of arrangement.
- Acting for the largest creditor in Suntech Power Holdings Co. Ltd’s provisional liquidation and restructuring.
- Advising the largest creditor on the restructuring of Dalian Rightway Real Estate Development Co. Ltd.'s US$446 million pre-IPO facilities.
- Advising the Adhoc Committee of Bondholders in relation to the restructuring of Hidili Industry International Development Limited, a HKSE-listed company.
- Acting for the company and subsequently for certain bondholders in Greens Holdings Limited's provisional liquidation and restructuring.
Prior to joining us, Chai was a senior associate at a global law firm in Singapore and London.